Friday, September 11, 2015

Aguinid Falls: Its Challenge And Beauty

Every successful blogger do start from scratch. In my case, I already have had several blogs under Blogger that I created way back in 2008-2009. Those articles were all about my business--Manong's Lechon Cebu. Sadly, time did not permit me to linger on my laptop to make new blogs on a weekly basis.  So after 6 years, after an invitation from a friend for me to continue writing my blogs, I have finally created new sites that will cover all the things that I find interesting:

rolandpanares.blogspot.com   is all about food, travel, fashion and lifestyle
manongslechoncebu.blogspot.com   is all about my business

It's my 2nd day of doing my blogs, as of this writing.  I would consider September 10, 2015 as the start of my journey---of blogging whatever catches my attention.  I cannot promise to be very diligent but I hope to write at least twice a week.  Funny is, this was the same line I told myself way back in 2009 when I had my first blog.

For a start, I would like to feature Aguinid Falls.  This is a newly opened falls in Samboan Cebu which is around 4 hour drive from the city.

My friend Rio and my adopted son Mark went to Cebu City last August 13-17, 2015.  I made a promise to Mark that we would visit the municipality of Oslob where we could see whale sharks (please see separate post)

After doing Oslob at around 10am, our first plan was to go to a nearby water falls.  Our Cebu-based friend, Sally, told us not to change clothes anymore since the drive is just around 5-10mins from the whale-watching site.  She said it was there where we could wash up and eat lunch.

Sadly or fortunately, we got lost and somehow reached the entrance of Aguinid Falls.


Beside the signboard is a parking area that could accommodate around 10 cars.  A lady approached us inviting us to have our lunch inside the resort.  She said the falls is barely a year old and they are selling sumptuous and affordable grilled food items.

I really had no idea how the falls looked like but I asked the foreigner, whose cab was parked beside our car, if the hike was worth it.  The man said that hiking is not a problem because the 1st falls is just an 8 minute walk from the parking lot.  Now that was something to consider.  Though hiking or trekking is not really a problem for me but I was bringing my 6 year old son.  I was just worried that the boy might request to be carried once boredom kicks in.

So from the parking lot we already ordered our food for lunch.  We walked on a clear and semi uphill road while the lady briefed us that there are 5 falls to climb.  Entrance fee is only P20 per head for locals and P40 per head for foreigners. While walking, there were several small convenience stores nearby selling souvenir items.  I rented a life vest for Mark.  I was suppose to rent vests for all of us but the store attendant told me that the water in all 5 levels is just chest-deep. We were also informed that each group is required to have two guides.  We questioned it at first why it must be 2 guides when in fact we all know how to swim and that the water is only chest deep, but they were firm that it is their policy.  This, I will find out soon, to be very practical and needed.

True enough, we reached the restaurant in less than 10 mins.  We prepared our camera, put on our sun block lotion and we decided to swim first while waiting for the food.  The first falls is practically beside the restaurant.  It was there where our 2 male guides told us that the rocks (limestones) are very forgiving to fearful visitors.  Most rocks there are not slippery and the guide told us to listen as to where to step to avoid accidents. Wearing slippers is an option.

At that moment, all I was thinking was the safety of my son.  It was his first visit to a falls.  Our 2 guides (sadly their names slipped my memory) pacified my worries and told us that part of their training is to give first aid, even CPR.  All guides function not only as a guide but also as a nurse and a photographer.

 



                 (Me wearing black sleeveless shirt, my son Mark, and my friend Rio taken at level 1)


We were told that each level has its own beauty and reaching all the way to level 5 takes only 40 minutes. Before reaching level 3, I was horrified to know that the only way to reach it is by assaulting the falls itself by foot.

  

(The guy in the bottom picture is my best friend Arniel Go, our other companion)


The climb going to level 3, as to my estimate, is around 40 feet high, but  locals intentionally made steeping/gripping holes to make it easier for visitors to climb.

 

(Me doing the assault)


 

(Mark being carried by one of our guides in reaching falls 3)

 

(I do not know what level this picture was taken but the view is awesome) 


 

(A stop over before reaching level 5) 

 

 

(Mark being carried by one of our guides)


(Aguinid Falls level 5)

 

 

(Before going back to the restaurant, my friend Rio decided to jump from this small cliff, the only one available in the entire Aguinid Resort) 

 

Now going back from level 3 to level 2 was a challenge.  It was a good thing that the rocks were not slippery at all.

It took us almost 2 hours to enjoy Aguinid's 5 different levels.  When we reached the restaurant, we had a quick wash up and took our lunch way past 1pm.

I can say, with all the effort our guides exerted to secure our safety, not to mention they took turns in taking our pictures, having 2 guides per group is really a must.  Our group have decided that each of us should give P200 as tip for the 2 guides. So with 4 of us, not including Mark, each of our guide got P400 for that 2 hour fun. Plus we also treated them for lunch.  Food inside the resort ranges from P150 - P300 depending on your choice.  They also sell cold drinks, junk food, and even ice.  Sadly, when we went there I didn't have any inkling that I would start doing my blog.  That is why detailed information is not available yet.  I will make it up to you in the next future blogs, promise. 

Aguinid falls is really intended for the whole family.  It is also perfect for group of friends who crave for calculated risks.  Tip though:  Don't scrimp on your guides. Give them the right amount of tip.  Your safety is always their priority so repay that accordingly.  And lastly, it is better to go there during weekdays.  If you are scared of heights, it will be difficult for you to do falls level 3 challenge if there are a lot of people queuing.  

















No comments:

Post a Comment